Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Art Board

At a mere $159 it was about $142 out of my price range :-) Theirs is made of metal…mine is made out of MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard). So this is how my vision came to fruition...


Supply List:

3/4” MDF board
1” Wood Screws
1/4” x 2” boards (2)
3/8” nut
two knobs
rescued shelf or some korbels and wood shelf
primer
paint
1” x 4” board
2 L brackets
7/8” dowel rod
Paper Roll from IKEA
Hook and Loop Tape
Gorilla Glue
Electric Drill
Various drill bits
Level
Drywall screws (capable of holding 50 lbs)
I found two of these shelves laying curbside. I really don’t know why someone would throw them away. They really were in great condition. So being the Roadkill Rescue hero that I pride myself in I threw it in my car for that “someday” when it would be made into something fabulous.

Well the day came. I first unscrewed the hangers from the back.

I went to Home Depot and purchased a piece of 3/4” MDF. I think it was around $8. I had them cut it down to 22 1/2” x 34”.

Using the same hole on the back of the shelf I measured and marked those holes onto the MDF and predrilled my holes.


Using a 7/8” drill bit I also drilled holes into the side of my curbside castaway. This is where the dowel rod holding the paper roll will sit.

It is a perfect fit for a 7/8” dowel rod purchased at Home Depot as well.








I wanted a little shelf at the bottom to hold crayons so I cut a 1” x 4” board down to 22 1/2”. I also cut two 1/4” thick x 2” boards to 22 1/2” in length for the paper stoppers.

I purchased some L brackets to hold the shelf and predrilled those holes as well. I also had these little knobs from who knows what that I decided to use on the end of the dowel rod. I secured hook and loop tape to one side (using Gorilla Glue) so that I could remove the knob when I needed to change out the paper. And glued the other knob on the other end.
Then I primed and painted everything including the screws and four 3/8” nuts. I used BIN Stain Blocker and Krylon Black spray paint.

Then I attached the shelf to the top of the MDF board.






Then I predrilled through the 1/4” x 2” x 22 1/2” boards. I used 1” wood screws and put a 3/8” nut between the boards to serve as a spacer so I could slide the paper underneath.









Attached the bottom shelf… Slid the paper roll in place… And added my hook and looped knob onto the other end… Then using a level and some heavy duty drywall screws I attached her to the wall.
It hangs on the wall in between the playroom and the kitchen.

Then I let the little artists loose.

No comments:

Post a Comment