Tuesday, November 30, 2010

You Light Up My Life

from:  http://www.alittletipsy.com/

I have really wanted to have a focus more on gratitude and appreciating those around us this month. This is a fun idea to surprise someone who has made a difference in your life. I call it You "light" up my life.







Supplies needed:

• Black, red and green cardstock
• Double sided tape
• Scissors
• Black marker

You can literally finish this in 15 minutes or less. It could be a fun mutual or family home evening activity where you could choose some family members, neighbors or community members you admire.


1. Start off by cutting the light string out of black paper. It can be any shape you like, just squiggle it around. I kept mine about 1.5 inches thick so it would be sturdy to lift once I got it all put together. I overlapped the edges about 1/2 inch and secured with tape.
2. Next, add the little black rectangles where the lights will go. I made these about 1.5 x 2 inches so I could overlap them a 1/2 inch to secure with tape.

3. Now fold and cut your red and green paper in fourths. I placed the paper next to the rectangle and freehanded a light shape. Then, I cut it out and used it to trace the rest of the lights.

4. Once you have all the lights cut out write notes on each one about what you love and appreciate about that person. We did ours for daddy so I wrote notes from me and each of my boys. It could be fun to do this for grandparents, ward members, neighborhood elderly, etc. Also, be sure to write "You light up our lives!" on one of the lights.




5. Then comes the fun part, tape it to their door and let them know how much you appreciate them.

No comments:

Post a Comment