Thursday, March 11, 2010

Twine Covered Craft Room Storage Cans

With two babies at home, we go through an ENORMOUS amount of formula. Thus, we have a plethora of formula cans that I've saved, not wanting to throw them out, knowing I would want to do something (or more than one thing) with them.

The first thing I decided to do was use them to add a little more space to my craft closet. I am lucky enough to have a large walk-in closet with storage drawers that houses all of my craft & sewing supplies. It's amazing, however, how fast I have filled up that space! In making these cans for some of my supplies, I emptied out a couple of drawers to make room for other things. Yay! They are cute, and organizational...how can you beat that?

You could really use these for just about anything...art supplies (next on the list), laundry items (clothespins, etc.), pantry storage, or even in the bedroom (lotions, hair supplies) or bathroom.

ITEMS YOU NEED:

• empty formula can, label removed (you don't have to use a formula can. I'm also saving oatmeal canisters...but you could use any type of round or square container that's big enough for your needs.
• natural jute (I used 1 1/2 spools for 3 cans)
• hot glue gun
• ribbon
• scrapbook paper
• double stick tape
• hole punch
• distress ink
• small safety pins

DIRECTIONS:

• Cover your can with twine, using thin streams of hot glue to hold it in place. I only used hot glue every once in awhile, making sure to secure the beginning and end really well. I didn't want to glob it down with too much glue. Pull the twine tightly, and wrap it well, and it will stay in place.

• Using the glue gun, adhere ribbon to the top and bottom rims of the can.

• Create your label, and mat on card stock and scrapbook paper. I printed mine on the computer, but you could use vinyl lettering, foam stamps, or other method of lettering. Distress all edges.

• Punch holes in the sides of your label, and tie ribbon in a knot through the hole.

• Attach the label to the twine, using the small safety pins. Ta-da!

No comments:

Post a Comment